Sunday, November 22, 2009

Questions per mi tio Duane

My Uncle Duane suggested these topic ideas to give you a better insight into my life here. Enjoy!

The best thing so far and the worst thing so far.
Best Things:
*The kids at school, love them!
*Spain’s awesome train system, you can get anywhere without much effort.
*The delicious beef, yum yum
*The fact that I have had to learn to cook for myself
*My co workers, who quickly became close friends
*The culture/lifestyle. At home, in the states, it is very easy to get obsessed and lost in work and daily stresses, where here they live in the "it can always be completed tomorrow (or the next day)" state of mind. People's happiness and health are much more important then completing a deadline or making money. A good way to explain it is; In the United States people live to work, in Spain people work to live.
*My 3:00 siesta

Worst Things:
*Being a 30 minute walk away from everything (but school)
*Only getting paid once a month...the last week of the month is a bit rough
*The fact that I have had to learn to cook for myself, blah

I could move here because...
of the lifestyle. As I explained above, it's absolutely amazing. The love and respect everyone has for each other here is inspiring! People have gone out of their way to help me here and I know it's simply because that's just the way they are.

Why Spanish kids seem to be better or worse than their American counterparts.
Better:
*They're just out to have a good time. I feel like sometimes in the states kids are forced to grow up more quickly than they should have too. Here on the other hand, they are still in strollers when they're in first grade!

Worse:
*They're just out to have a good time. It's also a not so good thing because they don't learn to sit down and shut up until they're 10! Parents are very easy going and relaxed here, so the kids are caught off guard when a teacher scolds them for talking or running around crazy. The kids just don't have the same amount of respect for teachers here as they do in the states.

New foods that I love.
Sadly we haven't eaten out much, so my selection has been limited. I intend to change that soon! But so far I enjoy...
*The ham, it's different here. It's more like bacon.
*I have recently tried cow cheeks (face cheeks, not butt cheeks. Dad get your mind out of the gutter). And I enjoyed them!
*Olives, I really don't like green olives in the states, but here they are fabulous!

The thing I had wished that I had packed in my one suitcase but forgot is...
TENNIS SHOES! I had all intentions to buy them here, but women don't really wear recreational shoes here, so if you find some they are all priced over 80 Euros!

Keep the questions coming, this was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment