Hot Water/Apartment saga part 5
When I arrived home from my 23 hour journey from the United States I was hoping to walk into my apartment and crash. Well, it’s me of course that didn’t happen!
So I will give you one word that can explain my situation for the past 2.5 weeks…MOLD!
Yepp, when I arrived home I was welcomed by a wonderful musty and 100 year old camp ground cabin smell of mold and mildew. The landlord hadn’t realized when you leave an apartment soaking wet for a month in these humid temperatures a little thing called mold appears. But, in my case it’s not a little thing, it’s a VERY big all over the walls, ceilings and bed spread thing. Pretty much anything that had ever been touched by water turned into a blackish green mold that started growing pink fur. I have pictures, but I’ll spare you.
As most of you know I am allergic to, well everything, but most importantly mold. So as soon as I realized that the mold had indeed spread to my room I called our landlord and requested, quite firmly, that he come over. When he showed up I went full blown crazy on the guy (If any of you have witnessed the “Gene Dean you are gonna wish you wouldn’t have gotten out of bed today face and speech,” imagine that times five and in Spanish). Needless to say he was coming back Monday to “clean.”
Side Note: You have to give me a break for going crazy, I had been on an airplane for 17 hours and hadn’t slept in 36.
Move forward to Tuesday…I am still living in a mold invested hellhole without hot water. So I get in an argument --via text message-- with him and he informs he can’t clean it or get rid of the problem until the air is less humid and we agree to leave the windows and doors open for the apt to air out. OK buddy, when it’s 40 degrees out and rainy I’m pretty sure we can’t leave the windows open to help the mold “breath.” I express my frustrations with him, but he doesn’t budge on the cleaning.
After discussing the mold problem with my construction minded father who informs me the mold could start growing in my lungs and it’s probably 1,000 times worth on the inside of the wall, I decide to throw the towel in on my apartment. I talked to my landlord on Thursday and informed him I was done and going to start looking for a new place because it was obviously bad for my heath to stay. Surprisingly, he was ok with it and agreed to give me my deposit back.
So for the past week I have been on a major apartment hunt, which actually turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Once the word got out to the crazy old Spanish ladies at my school, they took it as their personal mission to find me a place. We started on Monday and by Thursday I had seen seven places and chose the one I will be moving too.
I am actually quite excited about it! It’s only 20 Euros more then I pay now, in a much better location and IT HAS HOT WATER. I am a tad nervous about living alone for the first time, but I am also really excited at the same time. I am starting to move my stuff over tomorrow and I am planning on being completely moved in by this weekend! So if anyone wants to come visit me I have LOTS of room now, wink wink!
I do hate for the apartment saga to come to an end, but I can’t risk mold growing in my lungs to keep you guys entertained…sorry friends!
Until next time!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That's actually completely unacceptable. I wouldn't have been polite about it AT ALL. Was your stuff ruined? If so, the bastard owes YOU money...and not just your deposit.
ReplyDelete