Sunday, April 10, 2011

Two for the price of one!

Hey ya!

I am going to give you insight on a little thing that has recently come to my attention. Drum roll please...I no longer talk/write like an American!! These damn British words and spellings have been cemented into my brain, and I am now using them without thinking. NOT GOOD! The culprits of the this change are my school and my roommate. We teach British English and my roomie is Irish, therefore her English is pretty much British English. Here is a small list of the insanity that now comes out of my mouth/fingers...

Elevator...Lift
Awesome...Grand
Roommate...Flatmate
Mail...Post
Grocery Store...Supermarket
Mall...Shopping Center
Apartment...Flat
Parking Garage...Car Park
Movie Theatre...Cinema
Movie...Film
Tennis Shoes...Trainers
Pants...Trousers (not happy about this one)
Sweater...Jumper
This girl/that girl...your' woman (that's Irish)
Trash Can...Bin
Trash...Rubbish
Cookie...Biscuit
Line...Queue
Period...Full Stop (um seriously, what is that?)
Eraser...Rubber (this is not a joke, I teach 5 years olds to say "Do you have a rubber?")
French Fries...Chips
Potato Chips...Crisps
Soccer...Football

Spellings...coloUr, favoUrite, skiLful,centRE, agEing, licenCe, memoriZe, prograMMe,travelLing, yogHurt.

This is a pretty brief list, it's all I could come up with on the spot. Moral of the story, I came here to learn one language (Spanish) and am walking away with two. Good/Bad, I can't decide?
But, now when I come back in a couple of months and sound like a freak you will all know why! Crazy Britz!

Peace, Love and being Trilingual!

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. I'm fine with all of this except referring to cookies as biscuits. How dare you disrespect the finest baked good of the world?

    ReplyDelete