Sunday, February 13, 2011

Egg-a-licous

Hola!
Right now in fifth grade we are doing science experiments! So, I was put to the task to find a new and fun experiment that the kids could do. They were getting a little bored with the same ol' same ol'...what happens when you mix vinegar and water, what floats, planting a bean to see if it grows yatta yatta yatta! So, I went back to my good old West Antioch days and thought of the egg drop! I don't know if other elementary schools participated in the awesome egg drop...but it is a blast. In 6th grade we were assigned to build some kind of contraption that would protect an egg when it is dropped from the sky. Once, we were prepared the Merriam Fire Department came and brought there super tall ladder and we got to go to the top and drop our egg. Of course, mine didn't break :)!
So, I put our kids to the same challenge. Sadly, Lebrija doesn't have a fire truck with a super tall ladder and come to think of it I've actually never even see a fire truck around here...hmm
So, we came up with the next best thing...the inside balcony!

Only 11 kids participated in the awesomness, but it was a blast! We had nine eggs break and two surive the three story fall.

Here are some action shots and results...

The drop point

Raul dropped his egg in a shoe...it broke :(


Some of their "contraptions"

Ruben excited about his still intact egg!


Andrea's egg was gross and sticky afterwards! It was hilarious.


The experiment proved to be a success and I think the kids really enjoyed themselves!


Peace, love and omelettes!
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I remember doing this in elementary school!! SO fun. :) Good work teacher Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun, great job Michelle. We never got to do this but I love it! Hopefully Raul's egg didn't make too big of a mess in his shoe! :-)

    ReplyDelete