Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bodega Tio Pepe, La Feria and the Beach

Bodega, Tio Pepe


Friday we went to a Winery (Bodega) in Jerez, the bodega is called Gonzalez Byass and they make the famous Tio Pepe Wine. Tio Pepe wine is the largest export in Spain, so you should start looking for it in the States, haha! It was a great experience we got to see how the wine is made and learn their specific methods. We also got to see where and how they store their products. They are famous for their dry sherry wine made from the pamomino grape; most of the wine I tasted was really sweet. They also make choice Brandy's.

After the tour we got to try all of the wine and brandy we wanted :)!



Here is the link if you want to learn more about it,
http://www.bodegastiopepe.com/presenta.php?lang=EN


Lots and lots of barrels of wine.


Famous people that visited, Picasso and Steven Spielberg.

United States REPRESENT


VERY Large barrels of wine! They were made and put on display for a visit from the queen of Spain.


The train we rode around the Winery on.

Story Time: One of the workers was sitting in one of the bodegas eating lunch when he dropped a piece of bread, next thing he knew a little mouse ran from around the barrels and ate it. So for the next couple of weeks he left bread out everyday. Then one day he decided since the mouse lives in a bodega he would probably enjoy some wine. Since he wanted the mice to drink properly he built a little ladder to a wine glass and set it out. Well, the mice fell in love and every day for the past 50 years they set out a fresh glass of wine and some bread.

PROOF!


One of the Bodega buildings. Gonzalez Byass was more like a small town then a winery because it was so big.

What the streets in the winery looked like. Most streets were covered by grape vines to block the sun.

An old brandy distiller that was functioning until they replaced it in 1985.


The largest sundial in Spain!


Tio Pepe!


La Feria en El Cuervo

El Cuervo is a smaller town about 20 minutes from Lebrija and they hosted the final fair in the Sevilla region this past weekend. We decided to go Saturday night to see what it was all about! The fair was kind of the same as our city fairs, but not really. They had booths that had jewelry, kids toys, handmade clothes, figurines, and other things you would see at a fair. Everyone will be so proud I only bought one scarf and one necklace!

After the booth area is where the differences really set in. It was pretty much one big party! There were about 10 large tents set up like outdoor bars; they all had bands, dancing, food and lots of drinks. Each tent was sponsored by a different vendor in the Sevilla region.

We got to the tent area around 8:00pm and the parties were going strong, then about 10pm everything kind of died down for dinner time. Around midnight it was crazy again. It was SO fun!

They also had fair like games; darts, bingo (my roommate and supervisor won), duck racing etc. For the kids they had rides and children’s games. --I am not so sure I would let Alexi get on any of the rides; they weren't the safest looking things.-- One was absolutely hilarious though. It was a mechanical bull, but child size. OMG these kids went flying, not even kidding at least 10 feet(don't worry it was all padded so the kids didn't get hurt)! Also, you remember that white ride at Worlds of Fun; you stood against the wall and it was a giant circle, it went around and around in the air? Well, they had that, but the kids could just run around the circle like they weren't 20 feet midair...it was completely insane!

The atmosphere at the fair was amazing; everyone of all ages was just out to have a good time! This is going to sound totally cheesy and like I'm in the 90's, but the energy was electric!

We ended up leaving the fair about 3am, which was early...it goes till 7am!


The entrance to the fair.

The buildings that had the "main stage" bands and food.

The party tents. I took these during dinner time, so imagine this street with a 1000 more people, so fun!



The BEACH!!

Monday (school was closed for a national holiday) we ventured to the beach it was only a 25 minute train ride away. Absolutely amazing! It was a man made beach in a port town, we thought it was fabulous, but everyone else is telling us to go to a better one about 40 minutes away. So I guess I'll just have to try that one Friday...tough life!





Sorry this post is super long!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle!! Hi!! :) I am so pissed I missed your call today! I LOVE the little mouse ladder. I like how they make the mice crawl up the ladder to get the wine...couldn't they just pour it in a bowl? haha Seems a little dangerous to get a mouse drunk on a ladder. Quite the liability. haha And you know they prob. get drunk if that little guy drinks the whole glass. I wonder if they ever fall IN the glass. :)

    That carnival/fair also looks very fun! I have noticed that everything looks very clean, all the streets are well kept and very pretty. The streets of the winery were beautiful!! I think I will start growing grape vines in my room. I really like the way it looks, and if I ever need a little snack I can just reach up and grab a grape! Brilliant idea...I will start tomorrow and keep you posted. Maybe I will start a blog on my grape vine growing experience. I will call it "9 grapes, 1 big mess." :) jk.

    Well, keep the blog posts and pics coming! Your pictures are GREAT!! MISS YOU TONS TONS TONS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!!! sounds so awesome girl. the pictuers are "added-greatness" and you are a great writer/story teller! Keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete