Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lebrija!


The town has proved to be everything you would want in a small Spanish town. Lebrija is cute, clean and super safe. Most buildings are white with color accents and red roofs. There are quite a few churches that each have their individual charm and the town square is where everyone meets up.

My roommate and I have done some exploring and needless to say it took us less than three hours by foot to discover everything the town has to offer! We discovered the local market is open on Fridays and sells all of the fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish and bread you could ever want. The town also has a variety of super markets if I can't find what I am looking for in the local markets.

Although it is a "smaller" town it is quite the walk to get to most places. Like I said earlier I am literally a three minute walk from the school, but it is about a 20-30 minute walk to anywhere else. The town square is a good 25 minute walk from my house and that is where most restaurants, bars and shops are. The bus stop is a bit further and the train station is well a lot further. There isn't necessarily a local bus here, which is a bit annoying. The only bus they have in town takes you from the town center to the train station and it costs .50 centimos (totally worth it).

The train is nice and convenient(once you get to the train station), it runs about every hour to Sevilla and about every two hours to Jerez. Those are the two largest cities closest to us. Sevilla is about 40 minutes away and Jerez is about 20 minutes away. AND the beach is about 25 minutes away, I am going tomorrow!

Everyone we have met thus far has been really nice and more than willing to help. Our supervisor has been nice enough to drive us to the store to buy some necessities so we're not lugging water jugs, toilet paper and milk through the entire town.

We have Monday off for a Spanish holiday, so we have a four day weekend already! Yahoo!

The internet connection is really slow, so you only get the picture above and these two for now. Enjoy

This is what a typical street in town looks like! Beautiful


This is the small plaza I first ate in when I got here. I don't think I'll ever get sick of the palm trees!!!





4 comments:

  1. MICHELLE! You look like are you having SO much fun! I am so excited for you! I hope that you contiune to enjoy the job and Spain! I hope that you keep me posted on everything! I am SO jealous of you getting to teach! Hopefully my time will come soon... OH did I tell you? Ross' orders changed and we just bought a house in Derby, KS! We are moving to Wichita and will be there for about the next 4 years. I hope I get to see you more once you get back to the states! Take care and be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    The pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! I am so jealous! I hope you are taking a ton of pics...even though you can't post them! :) Why do you think the internet is slow? Just not as many wifi towers? What are you doing for cooking meals? You should send me any good recipes you get!! Is the wine really good? You should go to a vineyard there. I am sure that is already on your to do list. Don't forget to try and get in contact with Jenny. I am watching Bros and Sisters now. You are going to love it when you watch it in December!! :) (makes me miss you!!) I hope your mom and dad are doing ok, I miss seeing them!! Well-when you get this I hope you are having a SUPER Monday!! Miss you, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY MEESH!!
    I love your blog so far.. very interesting.. keep up with it because we all want to hear about your wonderful life overseas...your pics are beautiful... i think if some hottie wants to marry you you should accept no less than $100 bc that place looks pretty amazing :)!! Kansas misses you already... keep us posted... loves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle- Your pictures are beautiful. It sounds like you are having a great time, I love hearing about your stories. So jealous you have palm trees so awesome! I hope the beach is nice. It was 40 degrees and rainy today, love Kansas! Alexi needs to talk to you on skype let me know when you are available. Lots of love!!! Andrea

    ReplyDelete