Saturday, October 10, 2009

School

After a long sleepy weekend I started school on Monday and it is absolutely fabulous! The kids are cute, the teachers are nice and the school is precisely 3 minutes from my house.

I will teach 12 hours a week, Monday-Thursday 10:45-2:00. It is a very tough life; I don't really know how I will manage!

I will have at least an hour with each class each week. The infants, 1st grade and 2nd grade have three hours a week of English and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade each have seven hours a week of English. They have four hours of actual English Language lessons and three hours of Science taught in English. I will primarily help with the Science classes.

The kids are fascinated by me and don't exactly understand where America is? One kid asked if Kansas is close to London.

All of the English teachers know British English and we have already found some differences which has been funny. For example they say the letter Z -zet so it's like W X Y ZET, very strange. And they say may I go to the toilet instead of bathroom, and an eraser is called rubber. I am sure we will find lots of differences as the year goes on.

My stomach is still adjusting to the strange eating schedule here. They eat a small breakfast, a snack at noon and around 2:00 or 3:00 they have their large meal of the day, then they have a snack around 6:00 and have dinner at about 10:00. It's all a bit of an adjustment!

ALSO you know you've heard of the Spanish siesta, oh well its for real here! The entire town shuts down from 2:00-6:00. Some restaurants stay open till 4, but other than that it is a ghost town! It's absolutely perfect for me; I have no issue with my daily scheduled nap!

More to report later!

No comments:

Post a Comment